Surrender don't come natural to me

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Introducing some of the gang.

I want you to meet the guys I shine with. Today's blog is taken from an email I just sent my 3 interns who are back in the states now (I miss them something terrible). Here goes:

You guys sure have left a mark on this city. I went shining today (made 50 centavos!). The guys really miss you all, and all want to know when you'll come back or if more volunteers are coming. I shined first at Bisa... Charly is a totally different guy when I put on a mask. He was helping me all morning long, and we finally got two interested parties together. He shined his in like half the time it took me, and the guy I was shining ended up giving me a good lecture... something about how my bigger hands ought to move faster. I appreciated having the mask on, although I was tempted to "accidentally" get a little cream on his socks. The point being, I think I related much better with Charly. We are going to go to lunch next Wed.

I also stopped by and saw Dario. He is so good. When I got to the Post Office (which by the way is in its second day of a sit down strike... Pedro says there's more strikes coming for this county... oh joy!) Dario was shining this little boys shoes. I sat down while he finished, and then I noticed the boy wasn't paying and wasn't with a parent (he must have been 3-years-old tops). Dario gave him a great shine and then tapped him on the head and sent him on his way... I felt like Dario could have been the boys dad. I found out that the boy's mom works around the area and the kid comes through and Dario... or should I say Batman... looks out for him.

So after talking with Dario he said that he'd like a bracelet. Missy's team brought down a bunch of those rubbery red bracelets from Compassion International that say "Live 4 Him" on them. They were really popular and Dario had 2, but he gave them both away. We are out. Is there any way we could get some sent down here? Dario said he'd trade Ali for a Tigres bracelet. Hopefully the post office won't continue striking. Actually, with that in mind, maybe it would be best to give the bracelets to Jon when he's in town.

Pedro found me at the post office and we went up to the Perez together. William Shakespeare with his Joe Cool shades, Alexandro and Gonzalo with his lenseless shades all send their greetings. From there I went to see Ismael, Ramiro, Ariel, Flaco, Juan Carlos, and Willy. We sat and practiced pronouncing the lyrics to David Crowder Band songs. Ramiros wants to get together and sing and play some night. Praise songs. Good praise songs.

You are more... beautiful... than anyone... ever...

and

Oh praise Him! Oh praise Him! He is holy...

Not only is one of the shoe shiners a gringo, but now we read Narnia and sing English praise songs! Quite the shining experience, wouldn't you say!

Tonight's Bible study is on prayer. We will be sure to pray for Ali's physical health (I hope you are feeling better), Ross' mental health (crazy scientist) and David's mullet (any updates?). Pray for us, that we would know Jesus, His kingdom and His Father.

1 Comments:

  • At August 03, 2006 8:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Randy,

    I don't know if you remember me but I am glad to hear from you. I have never done this blog thing, what a great idea it is!
    I was reading a few of your entries and I can answer your question about manure, it is estiercol.
    Reading about your work is very encouraging and inspiring.
    I love what you are doing with the shoe shiners!
    I will be praying for you and them. And for Pedro and his family and the great idea about supporting them.
    Que Dios te bendiga.
    Ligia Stapleford

     

Post a Comment

<< Home