Surrender don't come natural to me

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Courage

I thought about coming up with some very profound definition for courage to start, but I'm not having much success with something along those lines. Courage isn't a word I think of much, but that might be changing. I think my first thoughts of courage relate to soldiers... men who in the face of deep fear and certain death charge forward, sacrificing all for someone that is not them. That is courage, and the soldiers who have done that and do it even today, I am thankful for them. Honor is another word that comes to mind.

But I'm recognizing courage off the battlefield, and I'm equally thankful and it is an honor to know men and women like this. Bravehearts.


The example I'm thinking of today is a man named Fritz. He's 24, and a shoe shiner. Next week he defends his thesis for his undergrad degree in applied mathematics. Last week he was assaulted in a robbery attempt. The hit he took to the head has left him without his left eye.

Talk about one of those situations where you don't know what to say. But I found that my visits to the hospital left me not sad and depressed, but encouraged and inspired. Fritz is a couragous man. One reason I say this is because he's moving forward. He is dealing with a past he cannot change, and with humility and a soul strength he forgiving and moving ahead. There is no way I'm going to be able to summarize his courage in this blog., so I will stop trying.

Once again I find that the people I've come to help and serve are my teachers. They are my heroes and with great thankfulness I realize that this should not surprise me. That's the way God's kingdom works. It is a last will be first type of system. The foolish things are used to instruct the wise things. My prayer is that I might learned from Fritz to be a man of courage.

3 Comments:

  • At December 16, 2006 2:13 AM, Blogger Ross said…

    That makes me so sad and so proud. Some of those guys are amazing. Please tell fritz he's really cool, and reminds me what courage is supposed to be too.

     
  • At December 21, 2006 12:07 AM, Blogger FFG said…

    Randy, I love reading your blogs and through reading, I feel driven to love Bolivia and it's people more...good things are going on in La Paz...seen and unseen.
    Have a great Christmas!

     
  • At December 21, 2006 10:50 AM, Blogger Danielle Alexandra said…

    Comparto contigo cuando dices que existen hombres y mujeres valientes. Hombres y mujeres como Esteban, Fritz, Ruth, Gedeon, Siglinde. Hombres y mujeres que deciden seguir a Cristo a toda costa y deciden seguir adelante habiendo puesto la mirada en el aliento de vida.
    Para mi tener coraje o ser un hombre o mujer valiente comienza reconociendo a otros como superiores a nosotros mismos. Cuando deseamos ser seres ensenables para ser mas como Cristo. Cuando nuestra oracion es de agradecimiento porque vemos en otros a nuestro Senor. Cuando nos damos cuenta que sin Cristo no podemos hacer nada pero con Cristo podemos hacer todo quien nos da fortaleza. Espero tenga sentido lo que digo...
    Gracias por ensenarme que el coraje va mas alla que las palabras. Aprendo mucho de ti.
    Dios te bendiga...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home