Surrender don't come natural to me

Saturday, January 13, 2007

Hombres Valientes

There were riots in Cochabamba this week. They actually left two souls beat to death and hundreds wounded. I was in Cochabamba during the riots. At the end of the week I took a taxi to the Cochabamba bus terminal with five mighty men. We drove through streets litered with debris left over from road blockades, areas blackened with soot from burned tires and marchers armed with bats and dynamite continuing to protest, followed by police launching tear gas. It was eerie.

We got out of our taxi to walk the finally block to the bus station. I walked with my hood up and head down to prevent attention being drawn to my pale gringo face. Wilfredo walked with me. He's one of the mighty men.

"So much darkness," is what he said in Spanish. I was busy trying to get to the station, so his statement took a second to set in with me. I looked up at him and my face said, "What?" He clarified, "So much darkness, and we are light. Wherever we go, we shine."

Now it was making sense. It was right out of our last Bible study. The study where together we discovered that we are temples of God's Spirit... that He now dwells on this earth through his people, and so when we walk into dark places, He goes there too. I nearly wept with joy.

I'm witnessing miracles everyday here in Bolivia. God is grabbing hold of young men and changing their world. And watching them change is changing me. I spent this week with Chavo, Gavilan, Abuelo, Dario and Wilfredo being trained to walk into darkness. We heard this sermon at the conference we were at about David's Mighty Men- Hombres Valientes in Spanish. And now we are excited and better prepared to go into the dark places of La Paz to shine and reach shoe shiners.

I had several conversations with the guys this week, asking, "How can we reach more shoe shiners?" They are thinking and dreaming with me. It is exciting. I'm going to be spending more time shining. More time backpacking. More time investing in these Mighty Men, because God is using them to grow His kingdom.

Last year was an incredible year. In fact, I can't hardly imagine a year richer than what I experienced in 2006. But I've said that in the past, and God can always top my wildest expectations and dreams.

6 Comments:

  • At January 13, 2007 2:16 PM, Blogger rjr said…

    wow.

     
  • At January 13, 2007 2:21 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Incredible! Praise God! I can't wait to hear what happens next.

     
  • At January 16, 2007 10:00 AM, Blogger Danielle Alexandra said…

    Mi PA siempre me dijo que los hombres que son valientes no saben que lo son hasta que se encuentran con otros en el camino. Y cuando se encuentran no hay quien los pare porque se animan unos a otros, unos caen y otros los levantan y pelean juntos la batalla.
    Bendito sea Dios por que ustedes seis se han atrevido a creerle a El. Porque ponen su mirada, sueños, expectativas y esperanza en el creador. Porque su valentía esta escondida bajo las alas de su Majestad.
    Bendito sea Dios porque TU estas guiando este rebaño a los pies de Jesucristo.
    Escuchen: La Paz, lustrabotas, basquetbolistas! Pongan atención, que seis hombres valientes están en la ciudad brillando por su Señor!

     
  • At January 18, 2007 8:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm so glad the angels walked with you that day and protected all of you. And yes, it sounds like there's a lot of young mighty men around you as well! 2007 will be amazing, I can feel it too!
    And would you please tell Miss Dani to write that comment in English? :) xoxo Mom

     
  • At January 25, 2007 8:04 AM, Blogger JonO said…

    The comment wouldn't be nearly as poetic in english! ;)

     
  • At January 26, 2007 3:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hombres Valientes indeed!

    I am proud of you Randy and I know that God is extremely pleased with you. Your perseverance has led to the formation of Hombres Valientes. And that mi amigo is what the world needs.

    The coincidence of the name and the timing is funny. If there is anything that my Mighty Men can do to help your Hombres Valientes just let me know. With each new verse in James that we memorize I see it impact their hearts and their way of thinking. As we reach the end of chapter 1, I fully expect a push from them to get involved in a reaching out ministry. I would love to hear your men's ideas and what they would need from us to help them succeed.

    And yes, I agree with your Mom. However, maybe I need to brush up on my spanish as well.

    p.s. maybe you could have a certain somebody help you brush up on your dance skills. I am expecting big things.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home